« Home | Week 2 Genesis 7-12 » | Genesis Chapters 5-6 » | Genesis Chapter 4 » | Genesis Chapter 3 » | Week 1 days 1 and 2 summary » | Week 1 May 1- May 6 Genesis 1-6 » | How I study » | Introduction--Understanding Worship »

The Power of Decision...

I have decided that instead of simply deleting this blog for the lack of time, I would simply review what I read on a daily basis as it relates to whatever books I am reading. It is simply easier for me to do. With that said I will type the notes in I had from today...

Ruth

I started reading the book of Ruth again for the umpteenth time. It always amazes me how you can read something over and over and get something new all the time. But this time I realized that Ruth had simply made a decision about her situation. She was a poor widow that was at the mercy of family members and in-laws no less. I think I always read it as if Naomi was responsible for her picking Boaz. But not so. She decided that what she came from was not enough to go back to. She wanted something different and was willing rather to die than to settle back at her home as Orpah decided to do. **Reminds me of some advice an older lady gave me--she said never leave a place until you are fed up, otherwise you'll return back to it and start the whole process of being tired again. Only this time it will be worse because you had left and now you are right back where you left from. Needless to say I left that job and I have no desire to go back. ***Orpah on the other hand wasn't ready to part ways with Moab. Ruth was willing to forsake all to go forward.

During this section of history women were really dependent on their husbands for their support. Josephus records that Elimelech, Naomis husband had traveled to Moab to escape famine and prospered there. You know he must have done well for himself because they decided to stay and raise their sons there. I find it interesting that he chose Moab because these are people that would not let the the children of Israel pass through their land and not only that but they had been held captive to Moab for 18 years prior to that in history(Jud 3:14) Though Elimelech dies Naomi, her sons and their wives remained in the land for 10 more years until the sons died. Obviously by that time the money was gone because Naomi makes the decision to go home and depend on family to help her in her time of need. Whatever she had it must have been little. Just enough to get home to Bethlehem-Judah. She was honest about being bitter and coming back empty.

Now Ruth decided to seek out the kinsmen that Naomi mentions on their way back there. She picks one of his fields to work in and works hard. That causes her to be noticed by Boaz. She was willing to do what it took to get what she needed. She just like Abigail in later chapters was willing to humble herself to capture a man that was capable of pulling her ahead from poverty and misery. But she was certain of who she wanted. She could have found any man there. There certainly was no shortage. Interesting...All it takes is some faith and favor to go from broke to rich. He could have had any woman he wanted. After all he certainly did not have to marry her. By law there was someoone closer to her that should have taken her as a second wife. Favor from G-d and a man with the wisdom of G-d are an unbeatable pair.


To wrap this up, I submit to you that this book reminds me of the kingdom in general. You literally have to fed up with your existence to seek the refuge of G-d and his kingdom. If not, like Orpah, you'll simply returned to the thing you should be fleeing from. Things that have not prospered you in any way.

You have to forsake all to serve him. Choose him over all others. Seek him out. Humble yourself to receive him. Position yourself by operating as he instructs to prosper. And know that your connection to him causes you to written (and remembered) in the book of life.

Be blessed.
Chosen.

Quite a good approach, well done!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Chosen
  • From Denver, Colorado, United States
  • Mother Of 5-- I am a writer with several projects in the works that will be published soon. And...Oh yeah--I just happen to be called to preach!
My profile